Favorite Fall Reads of 2019

Nearly three years ago I was fortunate enough to be able to join a special group of teachers across the United States that call themselves the #BookPosse. As a member of this elite group, I am provided early access (advanced reading copies) to various picture books, middle grade novels and young adult novels before they are released to the public. Being a part of this group has changed not only what I read, but how I structure reading in my own classroom. It has also helped to create the foundation of my own personal philosophy of establishing a Culture of Reader’s community not only within my classroom, but within my entire school community. I remember when I was younger I would always get so excited to get mail. Being a member of #BookPosse I find myself running to my mailbox with my dog Scout, excited to see what new #BookPosse books are waiting for me. Just as exciting I find it thrilling to then be able to book talk these same books to my own students – often reading excerpts to help spark that interest. At the end of the day, I know that the #BookPosse has really helped me to change the culture of my classroom as I have students who are now in 7th and 8th grade and are coming back to visit asking for book recommendations. If this blog post can help at least one other student or teacher or parent find their next great read than I have done my job. Happy reading!